I have battled a nasty sinus infection all week, and that pretty much sums up how I’ve spent my time this week. Before I was knocked down by illness, May Lee and I did pick up some pumpkins and flowers and put together a little fall display. Also, I was able to drop my class, and this freed up a great deal of time. Theoretically, at least. In my mind, I was restructuring my time to accommodate my St. Jude training schedule and this, that, and the other, and believing that I was going to accomplish those things this week. However, the aforementioned illness had me taking naps or laid out on the couch wishing for naps. Below you will find the things that have helped me survive this week:
- Essential Oils: Specifically, thieves, lemon, peppermint, lavender, and eucalyptus blue have saved my life this week. Let me tell you how. When the pharmaceuticals weren’t touching my symptoms, I made up “special tea”. My special tea is simply a teaspoon of honey, a drop of thieves, a drop of peppermint, and a drop of lemon in the bottom of a mug. I pour hot water over those things, then I hold the mug under my chin and let the vapors work while the water cools down enough to drink. Once it is cool, I begin sipping. Be warned, if you do not mix well or if you put the water in first and the oils on top, you will be knocked over by the vapors. In my diffuser at night, I have been putting in lavender, peppermint, lemon, and eucalyptus blue to hit both the allergies and the sinus stuff. In the mornings and evenings, I have been taking a steamy shower. Again, I’ve been putting drops of eucalyptus blue on the floor of the shower, then turning on the hot water and letting the steam and vapor unclog my head. All of these things have really kept me comfortable.
- The pharmaceuticals: the generic versions of maximum strength sinus medication and cold/flu medication have done their part. Although, the relief is not as immediate as inhaling some thieves and peppermint.
- Aunt Bunny’s chicken enchiladas, or as May Lee calls them “chicken-ladas”. They are divine.
- All of the friends and family that helped take care of my parents and May Lee during and after my mom’s surgery. We are blessed with a great community.
- Soothe Lotion: Ok, I know I talked about this last week with May Lee’s skin stuff and the amazing things it did, but last night I tried it on me. I developed an enormous and painful pimple right next to my mouth- I blame the constant use of tissues- and nothing I was doing was relieving the swelling and pain. I don’t know why it took me several days to think of it, but last night it occurred to me that I should try the Soothe Lotion on it, and so I did. It was much less angry this morning when I woke up. I put it on again this morning, and it is no longer painful and swollen and it is clearly going away. I just might love this stuff.
- No soccer. I thoroughly enjoy watching May Lee play soccer, and I love her little team. We are blessed with a good group of girls and a good group of parents. For some reason, this week has been nuts for everyone, so long story short, we do not have a soccer game tomorrow. I will actually be able to stay in my pajamas ALL DAY on Saturday, and I feel like that is a sure fire remedy for a sinus infection.
I hope that you, too, are blessed with the weekend that you are needing to get back into good space in your head and in your heart.